The color black has become a staple in my wardrobe. When I wear black from head to toe, it’s much more than just a “safe choice”, it’s a state of being. I feel in control and wear it like armor. Black is a color with many faces. Black can be chic, sleek, and sexy. Black may be boring to some and even (gasp!) faux stylish, but in my opinion it takes a real fashionista to rock the same color over and over and keep it fresh.
This winter, I’ve been playing around with texture. I’m currently loving the return of the 90’s, especially the lingerie inspired looks. So, I chose this Bebe silky loose bodysuit with a deep-v opening to go with my pencil skirt. The dress code at my job is thankfully…liberal (lol). Buttons or no buttons, this is the perfect kind of top you want to wear if you have plans after work.
The AltuzarraxTarget snake skin print pencil skirt, the thigh high suede boots and my lush faux fur coat are all sexy in their own right, together they may be too much, but when it comes to black I’m a firm believer that more is more.
My advice for you -take some time during the weekend and plan out outfits and more importantly try it on! Basic items in your closet can be upgraded using different textures and shapes. Start thinking of your closet as a wardrobe and not just “that thing that holds your clothes”. The more you make what you have work harmoniously, the better you will shop. So pull out those “boring” work slacks and just throw every top/shoe/accessory you own its way! Play with colors (if you like) or see how many monochromatic looks you can come up with.
Photos By: @zamnsam (Instagram)
- Silent Damir Doma Knit Hat (old); similar here
- Moschino Gloves via Century 21 (old); similar via ebay.com
- Forever 21 Faux Fur Coat (bought it in store); more here
- Bebe Silk Wrap Bodysuit, $89; more here
- Altuzarra for Target Jacquard Pencil Skirt, (old); similar here, here, splurge here
- Forever 21 Faux Suede Over-the-knee boots (sold out); similar here, here and splurge here
- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri ‘Espresso’, $4